What is the Best Margarita Recipe?
We can all agree that a palatable Margarita contains three basic ingredients—tequila, lime, and Triple Sec. Still, there is much debate over what makes the best margarita recipe truly the best.
According to the Smithsonian, more than one person claims to have created the world’s first Margarita. However, most historians agree that the Margarita was initially shaken and poured in Mexico in 1938 at the hands of restauranteur Carlos “Danny” Herrera.
That year, Herrera met aspiring actress Majorie King, who was allergic to all types of hard liquor—except tequila. To make his drink more palatable, he combined the ingredients he used in tequila shots, salt and a lime wedge—and turned it into a refreshing drink. The rest is beverage history.
What makes a “perfect” Margarita?
Search the web for the best margarita recipe, and you’ll surely be bombarded with a whimsical barrage of delicious-looking photos and recipes that seem nearly the same.
How do the top food and beverage experts rank the best margarita recipe, and most importantly, can we make it at home?
According to the experts…
Bon Appetit Magazine:
- 100% Agave Tequila is a MUST. The most recommended type of tequila for the “perfect” margarita is the dark Reposado.
- Include Triple Sec or Cointreau.
- 1 to 1 ¼ ounces of Lime Juice—don’t skimp!
- Salt on the Rim
- On the Rocks
- 100% Agave Tequila (no specification on style, but brands like 1800 and Don Julio are mentioned)
- Use Cointreau, not Triple Sec
- Lime Juice (the amount is unspecified)
- Salt or no salt—both are acceptable
- Stir—do not shake
- 5 ounces of 100% Agave Tequila
- Add 2 teaspoons of Agave Nectar (We LOVE this touch)
- Add 1 oz. of Lime and Ice
- Salt is optional
- Mix, swirl, or stir to dissolve agave nectar, then shake!
- 2 oz. Silver Tequila (100% agave)
- 1 ounce of Cointreau
- 1 ounce of lime juice
- Cocktail glass
- Shake, then strain into the glass.
As you can see, a few things vary in these margarita recipes, like the use of salt on the rim, whether your tequila choice should be Silver or Reposado, and whether to use Triple Sec or Cointreau. What is clear is that a few simple ingredients can make a fantastic drink.
We, at Cooks Innovations, have a few best margarita recipe suggestions of our own…
Without any further suspense, here is our recipe for the Best Margarita:
- 5 ounces of Reposado Tequila (our favorite brand is Cabo Wabo)
- ½ ounce of Cointreau
- 2 teaspoons Agave Nectar
- 1 ounce Island Dave’s Sweet and Sour/Margarita Mix (Organic, Natural, Made with Key Limes)
- No salt
- A squeeze of lime
- Shake and strain over ice into a cocktail glass.
Love Margaritas? Follow us on Instagram for the Most Beautiful, Best-Tasting Margaritas throughout the entire month of July!
- Cooks Innovations